Monday, June 19, 2006

Startup idea #19578234: KippleKillr

I agree with Dave Winer's rant against what he calls bug graphics, and which I call kipple. Is this trend going to get bad enough that someone comes up with the bright idea to make a browser plugin similar to Adblock which doesn't only block ads, but also zaps all the stuff in a Web page which is not immediately germane to the user experience? Not just those annoying favicon links that everyone ignores. Not just interminable blogrolls, Wordpress admin links, and "listening to" MP3 listings. How about blocking traffic-measuring scripts like Google Analytics, which I have seen kill pages dead if the Google servers are particularly slow in that nanomoment? How about blocking those useless Flickr collages? How about banishing classified-style structured blog sinppets? (Oh wait, structured blogging doesn't seem to be getting any traction, so that might not be so important.)

It's no wonder that RSS readers have become so popular, because they strip out all the useless parts of a Web page and leave just the pure, rich content. Now the blog toolmakers have figured out that the readers are gypping them out of page impressions, and are starting to embed all sorts of useless crap in their RSS feeds. It's an arms race between the publishers and the users, and pretty soon one of those users is going to take up the cudgel and code a kipple blocker.

Call it KippleKillr. Someone do this idea, please!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a rather interesting idea, but how would you filter everything down to exactly what was what?

I mean I've seen some myspace pages where they're so littered with s___ that you can't make heads from tails on the page, and the HTML and XML is so bad that it'd make a HTML Project by Paris Hilton look smart and well scripted.

AdBlock does its job because people report known things that are offensive to the user, and it's using what people report as offensive to block. For example, if I deem your site (Tinfinger) offensive, I can right click it, add it to my Adblock Dutchblock database, and when I reconnect to my browser the next time, it'll send to the Dutchblock creators and they can filter through it and see if it's really truely offensive.

Do we really want to create a project like KippleKiller where we have to go through all that extra Bulls___?

-A.Barker.

4:32 pm, June 29, 2006  
Blogger Paul Montgomery said...

The way I'd see it working is by handling each type of kipple as an option which you can choose. Anyone could identify a string of code (in other words, a start string and an end string), define it as a piece of kipple, and submit it at the site of the widget author. Then the widget's author could test and approve these kipple definitions and offer RSS feeds of latest defs, most popular, etc... plus a search function, all of which would be accessible through the widget's option page.

4:54 pm, June 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Halo,I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Le_Meridian Funding Service on this topic.Le_Meridian Funding Service gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Le_Meridian so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant meĀ  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Here is Le_Meridian Funding Investment Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.Email:lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.comWhatsApp Contact:+1-989-394-3740.

9:27 am, February 09, 2020  

Post a Comment

<< Home