Saturday, November 26, 2005

m0ntycast I: The Startening

Be gentle, this is my first podcast. If I ever start singing along to MIDIs you'll know I have jumped the shark. I am calling them m0ntycasts (m0nty is my usual online nick - that's with a zero).

Links for subjects of discussion:
  • O'Reilly Radar
  • The first of the Burn In series (there are 13 so far)
  • A condensed version of my Hounded story is on an old PlanetCrap thread.
  • The Aussie developer of Hounded was Kelvin King. If you know anything about him, please contact me because I wish to shake his hand vigorously, and converse with him at length on many subjects of great import.
  • Note the message at the bottom of the C64.org listing - "Only part 1 of Hounded 2 work Please upload a new version!"... judging from that I guess I'm one of the very few who actually got to play Hounded II!
  • Courtesy of the Wayback Machine, the old Catalyst Web site for which I was Webmaster in 1995/6. Phear the ugly Netscape grey! Cringe at the animated GIF!
  • The first of my Internet columns for Catalyst. Phear the eyebleed-inducing communist red background! Note how one of the newsreading progs is called tin... damn, I had forgotten that. Phear my subconscious mind! Also note the "hotlist"... what would now be implemented as an OPML reading list. Also, note the mention of the Usenet newsgroup aus.flame.usa - I created that! :D Well, I got the RMIT sysadmin to make the submission, but I wrote the submission and charter. And it still exists!
  • Melbourne Long Tail Camp

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool. From a usability standpoint, might I suggest a podcast button to encompass the lowest common denominator?

2:50 am, November 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done.

5:37 pm, November 27, 2005  
Blogger Paul Montgomery said...

No, you hadn't told me that one Rob. A certain blonde, eh? Ah, those were the days. Wine, women and song. Well, some of us got more of the first than the second, and thankfully there wasn't that much of the third.

7:08 pm, November 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Enjoyed your recount of Hounded very much, I only came across it when I was bored one night and googled for Kelvin King.

I would be the 'little brother' in your story. (I would go on about how little a mention I got but people would recognise it as 'middle child syndrome' very quickly)

I will admit Kelvin was the better programmer but maintain vigorously I have always been better looking.

Kelvin went on to work for the defence department as a programmer and currently works as an analyst for Centerlink and I run a small ISP in country South Australia.

If you would like to contact me ... hounded@seol.net.au

Cheers Tony

12:21 am, December 22, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

G'day Paul,

I didn't find kelvins 'super-dogs', but i sure as hell missed plenty of school thanks to well organised sick days with friends who lived near by. We would have hounded championships that went for days and in game time, be hundreds of weeks long! We made a 'legendary fastest dogs of all time' list, the fastest time being 27.03 seconds, with .01 seperating the next 4 consecutively. Glad to see we weren't the only people hooked.

all the best,

Shane

4:24 pm, January 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home