Saturday, February 18, 2006

50 Cent bling worth four million Euros

I have been waiting for someone to bob up implementing the Web version of the "paperdoll" screen that many computer RPGs display while you are creating your character. In RPGs, you get a stylised version of a human or elf or dwarf or whatever wearing underpants, then you dress him/her/it with the latest in medieval military accessories. Some of my MMOG-playing friends see the quality of this glorified Barbie-doll-dressing-up feature as one of the key determinants in their attitude towards the game. And some of those friends are heterosexual males!

That's part of why the just-announced four million Euro investment in Stardoll.com fascinates me, as reported by alarm:clock. There are two types of dolls: the full-length body as seen with Fitty on the right with selections of clothing on virtual racks to dress the celebrity as you please, or "makeovers" which are close-ups of celeb faces with a large palette of colours to make your chosen star look like a circus clown. Another mate of mine who works at an all-girl K-12 school says they have had to block access to Stardoll.com and sites like it because of huge demand.

The thing I wonder as I scroll through all the names of celebrities is: what would the Stardoll.com business plan say about legalities? Have they addressed the right to publicity of celebrities? Have they considered what would happen if one or more of the featured celebs sued the company for using their likeness/es without permission? I'd love to know.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Paul, from the US Heartland state of Indiana. This particular post came up in a search this week. Would you be so kind as to identify the school? Please post here or reply via private email. Many thanks!

(My direct email address is: douglass.davidoff@gmail.com.)

6:08 pm, May 10, 2006  
Blogger Paul Montgomery said...

I'm sorry Douglass, but I can't reveal that since it might put my friend in a bad position if it become known that he was discussing school policy. The best I can give you is that it was in the Midwest.

6:23 pm, May 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home