Thursday, February 02, 2006

Rooters break VC virginity

/ROOT Markets, or Root Vault or Root.net or AttentionTrust or whatever they're called, announced a US$10 million funding round today, as reported by alarm:clock. It certainly helps your funding round if the CEO and executive chairman can lead it with their own money.

One thing those alarm:clock boys alerted me to was Root's CTO, Robert Lefkowitz, who exalts in the handle of r0ml. My own handle on Web sites and email addresses is m0nty, something which annoys my mother no end since she has to remember the zero instead of an o. No wonder I've been so hot on the Rooting crowd! It all becomes clear. I'm merely replaying the Second Battle of El Alamein, with r0ml playing the Desert Fox, Erwin Rommel, and me as Field Marshall m0nty... oops I mean Montgomery. One of my grandfathers even fought in Egypt, although he was in Tobruk, not under Monty.

Of course, for the analogy to hold, r0ml would have to be poorly resourced, outgunned and running out of fuel. Damn, that sounds like me - I've been suffering the flu all week and did my first VC pitch today. My throat was feeling as dry as the Sahara by the end of it, and the best that can be said is that I'll be better for the experience. Thankfully the VC involved had some nice constructive things to say. But no, I don't think I'll be besting r0ml on the field of battle any time soon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Homey you need to check out Paul Martino and WSFinder (because it looks a lot like Tinfinger).

4:20 pm, February 13, 2006  
Blogger Paul Montgomery said...

Um... no, it doesn't.

4:31 pm, February 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home